Megan Thee Stallion: Enter the Hottieverse Review
I had first heard about the Megan Thee Stallion: Enter the Hottieverse VR Experience from hiphopdx.com where they promoted it as the first Virtual Reality Concert Tour. Although I wasn't the biggest listener to Megan Thee Stallion's songs, I do like a lot of her songs and felt a lot of sympathy for her during the contract issues and Tory Lanez shooting at her. Even though I was disappointed Phoenix wasn't listed as one of the cities as a tour spot, I got my ticket to the 6 PM show at AMC Groove at Los Angeles anyway and made the trip up there.
When I arrived at the theater itself 15 minutes before the showtime of 6 PM, the theater staff was there to cheer each and everyone of us that walked in through the doors and take our seats. There was music from Megan's catalogue that was playing as entrance music with the theater staff dancing to it. Everyone just seemed very excited to introduce the experience to us and that gave it a welcome feeling.
At 6PM, a 15 minute pre-show was played where a supposed AI would access Megan Thee Stallion's archives to show music videos from Don't Stop, Southside Forever Freestyle, Captain Hook, and Sweetest Pie. In the case of the first 3 songs, I guess those songs were considered for inclusion in the experience itself but left out where as Sweetest Pie was likely recorded and filmed after the concert was filmed. Nonetheless, all 4 songs were enjoyable made more so in the theater with surround sound and the fanbase enjoying them around you.
After the music videos, the countdown, and instructions to put on the Oculus Quest 2 headsets (I had to put my glasses in the headset first before putting the headset on), we were able to play a target shooting game using our hands where we use our hands to shoot at targets that increase by number before moving. The setup was four seats per pod (I think there were 30-35 pods total in the thearer) and I assume that whoever in a pod scored the most points in a round would win a virtual dog prize but since I was the only one in my pod, I kept winning all of the dog prizes. I was able to win 5 of the virtual toy dogs and was on level 6 before it switched to a finale where everyone keeps throwing virtual balls at a huge target until the experience begins. If anyone has made it further past level 6, does it go on forever (until the show starts) or does it stop at a certain level? Please let me know in the comments.
We were flying through the clouds until we got to Megan Thee Stallion herself where she performed Savage. The environments throughout the concert are well rendered and creative while the choreography feels right at home out of a megan thee stallion music video with a lot of twerking involved!! This also does a great job at making you feel close to her as she dances by zooming in to show her dance.
After she finishes Savage, she produces an orb which soars through the skies and through some futuristic airship before arriving back at Megan where she performs Body where the environment changes halfway through the song. Then, the orb becomes a purple orb of gel before evolving into a Megan Thee Stallion figure. We then join Megan and her group of backup dancers as they perform Thot Shit in front of the mouth of the Megan figure
We then appear to go inside the figure's mouth before meeting up with Megan and her backup dancers as they perform Kitty Kat. We then back off from the group as it fades out and then fades in to the title screen. After being instructed to take the headset off, the credits rolled and we got some nice behind the scenes footage of Megan performing in front of green screen.
I had a blast throughout and enjoyed the songs and choreography. I do wish that the concert was longer but the company is promising more virtual concerts from artists so maybe they will feel more confidence as time goes on. I still had an amazing 45 minutes (from beginning of pre-show to end of experience) and absolutely would recommend checking this out at your local city. As an added bonus after the show we got a flyer with a QR code to buy a ticket for future dates, a round sticker promoting the hottieverse show, and a 20% off coupon for a select timex watch (one appeared on my left virtual hand during the shooting game portion.
The show just ended its Los Angeles run but will be in these following cities: San Francisco (April 21-24), Chicago (May 5-8), Dallas (May 12-15), Houston (May 19-22), Atlanta (May 26-29), Miami (June 2-5), Charlotte (June 16-19), Washington DC (June 23-26) , and New York City (June 30-July 3)
Tickets can be bought at https://amazevr.com/
Tickets can be bought at https://amazevr.com/
Comments
Post a Comment